Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Paper Angel Story - One From The Heart

(This was written November 20, 2011)


For those of my friends who really know me, you know everything I am about to post on the rest of this entry is nothing but the truth. I am a very simple person. I don’t like having to put on a “game face” when it comes to life. I don’t use all the “eloquent” words the narrators use to tell stories. I just know how to write it and tell it from my heart as I see it.

Yes, I love to get all dolled up every chance I get. But I would rather be in my jeans and t-shirts and flip flops any given day. When I am dressed down, I don’t have to worry about some one else feeling any less than I am because of the way I look. Because their clothes don’t look as fancy as mine, I don’t want them to think I am any better than they are. I am not better than any one. Yes, I have proved recently I can still get red carpet ready in just a matter of a few minutes. Then, in five minutes I can go from the red carpet to riding four-wheelers.

That is just me…

Life is a matter of enjoying the journey and making a difference. Be remembered for what you did to change some one else’s life. If all you are about is trying to get the biggest house on the block, the most expensive car on the market, or the biggest bank account in town… That is all you will be remembered for. When your life is over, all those things you worked all your life to get will be left for your family to either sell or fight over. After you have taken your last breath, all those things are now just things again. The meaning as well as the purpose that they held in your eyes, don’t have the same effect on the other people in your life. Your prize possessions are now just “things that belonged to you” before you left this world without them.

Why not do things to make a difference in the life of another person? There are so many different areas and ages people need help with. Medical needs, groceries, light bills, housing, and even food. I am sweeping off at my own front door step before I sweep around yours. So, don’t click off this topic until you have read the whole thing.

Yes, I have helped with various happenings in and around my town. Most people will never know what I have done. When you do it and then you boast about it, well, you are doing it for the wrong reasons. You are bringing attention to your self. Another little “trophy” of possessions to hang on your wall for the world to see once you are gone. Then everyone will quickly forget them as time fades away. They are not important any more to anyone.

When you can truly leave a mark on someone’s heart and soul by doing something they will remember forever, that is a legacy. I saw a quote on Facebook recently. “You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” Just like in the Bible in Matthew 25:40, “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!” In the Scriptures before this one, it is referring to feeding the hungry. You give to those who are thirsty something to drink to quench their thirst. Even though I was a complete stranger to you, you invited me into your home so I would have a clean place to stay.  I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison because I had done something wrong, and you still to the time and you visited me.

When a person is broken and down on their luck, why is it so hard to reach out and help them to most people? We are so blessed to be a blessing to others in need. We, at one time or another, have also been down on our luck and have experienced hard times. Do you remember the person who took the time to help you when you were trying to get back up?

I can sit here as I type this and recall a time when some one did something simple for me. I know it was between 2001 and 2003. I don’t remember the exact year but I know Zaxby’s opened up in Douglas in 2001. They just celebrated the 10 year anniversary. It was Christmas time and I went thru the drive thru to get some supper on the way home. I was behind a white Ford Taurus in line. I do believe I know the person who was in the car in front of me. I will never forget her waving to me as she had already gotten her food and was pulling away from the drive thru window. When I got to the window with my money in my hand, the cashier said “Merry Christmas. The girl in the car ahead of you said to tell you Merry Christmas and she paid for your food. She said to tell you her name was _______.” For reasons I refuse to post without contacting that person first before I post her name, I will insert the “__________”. When she tells me I can, I will insert her name! That simple act of kindness was something that brought tears to my eyes. I drove off and I cried all the way home. The meal was less than $10.00 but to me it was worth $1,000,000 because some one had cared enough for me to do that for me. And since I have never thanked her before, I want to take this time now!!! Thank you!!!

I guess I need to begin the meaning behind all of this topic right about now…

As many of my Facebook friends, know, I was supposed to be going on a mission trip to either Hackleburg, Alabama, or Smithville, Mississippi, with the organization called Eight Days of Hope. This mission trip was to rebuild homes for widows who had their homes destroyed with the storms that hit the southeast in April 2011. These ladies did not have any insurance or their insurance did not cover all of the needed repairs. There is another blog subject about all of this on this blog. I was all excited I was going. Then the weekend before I was supposed to go, something just kept pulling at my gut and told me not to go. Not really being sure what it was trying to tell me, I got really upset at myself. I was more embarrassed because I was not going to be going after all. But, now as I watched the week unfold as to the week I was supposed to be there, I know why I didn’t go.

You see, Pastor’s father had to have stints put in. He was shipped out of town on the Wednesday night of that week to another hospital. I sing on the Praise Team at church. Pastor’s wife is our praise and worship leader and our piano player. So she was not able to be in service with us that night. I was able to download some songs with just the soundtracks. We had music to sing by for the worship part of the service.

On the same day, my Mama had an allergic reaction to some type of sinus allergy medicine. Her face was swollen up like a little Ewok off of the Star Wars (Luke Skywalker) series. She literally looked as if she had gotten some Botox shots or a face lift that went majorly wrong. Had I been 450 miles away, I would have killed myself to get back home to see about her.

Then there was the almost incident this past Wednesday. If you haven’t read the blog under “Psalm 139:9-10” yet, you need to read it and you will understand. You see, I had a major part of my vehicle fall off at some unknown time and place. As I was about to leave, I hit a small hole in my front yard and the tie rod end bolt came up out of the tie rod because the $1.62 nut had fallen off. So, there it was dragging the ground while my tire hung on like a loose tooth. HAD I been driving down the dirt road (aka wash board bumpy) or had I been driving down the high way at my normal rate of speed (wide open) when it decided to fall apart… There would have been only one of two outcomes. It is a given, I would have wrecked. NO doubt about that part. But, I would have either had a severely major accident and been badly injured or I would have wound up dead. God knows what He is doing, so I have learned to quit asking questions. Had I been either going or coming home from mission trip, I do not want to even think about that one.

Now, let us back up to the night I decided I was NOT going to be going to the mission trip. October 23, 2011, was the night of my decision. I had gotten home from church and was feeling like a defeated little puppy. I was heart broken to say the least. I cried myself to sleep that night. And boy, when I do that, I look like I the Michelin Man in my eyes the next morning. They poof up really bad. No make up can cover it up. Monday morning, I got up as usual. Fixed my morning dose of Folgers in my cup to perk me up. Instead of going to get a shower, I went to my Daddy’s blue recliner in the living room. That is where I like to go and just think about things. I started the little pity party once again.

I listen to WBYZ 94.5 every morning. I love the station. I have to hear Mike Huckabee’s 8:30 morning news. The local weather. Then Pastor Tommy Daniels from the Ten Mile Creek Baptist Church daily devotion. After the news, DJ Alan DuPriest began his upcoming events he plugs in at this time. It started out like this...

“The Tri County CASA organization will be holding a Holiday Fashion Show Gala in Baxley on November 12, 2011. CASA is the group for the Court Appointed Supporting Adults. They are having this fashion show to raise money for their organization.”

I own a bridal shop located in down town Douglas. Those words really caught my attention. I knew what CASA was about… Helping kids. As soon as I heard “CASA”, God spoke to my heart and all I heard was “Balloon decorations”. Wow, I really need to contact them as soon as I get to work to see about this. I didn’t want to do the fashion show part since others from that area were already doing the fashion part. I wanted to help in other ways.

Then Alan had to go and follow it up with “And the guest speaker for the night will be Country Music Artist Jimmy Wayne……” I will be completely honest, I heard NOTHING else Alan said after that name (Sorry Alan)…

I know Jimmy Wayne’s life story thanks to radio, various magazines, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, and youtube. I know what he stands for and pretty much what he is all about. I mean, when is the last time YOU walked 1,700 miles across America to raise awareness for kids who age out of foster care??? When kids “age out”, this means the day they turn 18 and are an adult, where ever they are, all of their belongings are brought to them in garbage bags and they are now homeless and on their own. He founded the organization Project Meet Me Halfway (www.projectmmh.org) in 2010. He is also the National Spokesperson for CASA. He is a supporter of the Salvation Army Paper Angel Tree Program due to the fact he was once a Paper Angel himself. He had a life that one around here would never think of a child having to go thru and live thru. Yet he came thru it and is now bringing awareness for other kids. Pretty soon I will have a blog story on him and his foundation!!!

I have a special place in my heart for kids of all ages. I love me some babies all the way to their teens. Having a love for kids and kids liking me is a characteristic my Daddy passed down to me. Kids (babies) who normally don't go to strangers will take up to me. Guess it is the Jesus in me... Up until this past year, I was the Teen Sunday School teacher for two years and I was the Youth Pastor for a while. This year, I became a mentor at the Middle School. I guess that is why I love my job, I always am around the younger girls and I try to be a good role model for them. Then at other times, the parents bring their kids into the shop while they look around. Guess who loves to baby sit??? I have been told I needed at least a dozen!!!

As I heard this, I realized God was possibly opening another door for me to do something good since I was not going to Alabama. Was I fearful of them telling me no they didn’t want any part of me decorating for them and they thought I was stupid for contacting them? OOOOOOHHHHH but YES!!!!!! But I learned many years ago “The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.”

So I got to the store. Told Mama my story of how I was not going to Alabama and how I was going to contact them about decorating in Baxley. It was a risk to take, but I was gonna try. After an email. A phone conversation with Mr. Jim. Then Mrs. Dorothy. I was able to get on board with this event. I went that Monday and met with Mrs. Dorothy to look at the room I would be decorating for. I would have the privilege of decorating the MEET AND GREET ROOM for Jimmy Wayne. I was honored and knew this was a once in a lifetime chance to be able to do something on this scale. I mean, come on, this is South Georgia. Not too often do we have things like this around here!

As I was thinking one day, I decided to take another chance and invite Jimmy Wayne to our church service for that Sunday morning. I did not know his schedule at the time. But I invited him to be a part of the church service. Not to have to come in and speak. I wanted him to have a chance to be able to be in a church service with out any pressure. I mean another, what is the worst thing that could happen… Him say “No”.

His comment to me was completely one of those I never expected to have answered like he did. He replied “I invite your "church" to join me at the salvation army to help with the angel tree program.”

As I read that… I was like… Oh no he did not!?!?! And in a Madea tone “What did you just say???” He just either dared me or challenged me to do something and to make a difference in some one else’s life in the process. And how many of my friends out there really know I TOTALLY LOVE A CHALLENGE!!!!  And I LOVE HELPING OTHERS!!! Combine the two and I am dangerous!!! Just because I am a woman doesn’t mean you have to immediately underestimate me and what I can or can not do! So, let me prove to you what I am capable of!!!

So, what did I do??? I got the phone book, looked up the Douglas area Salvation Army, and left a message for the Manager to call me back. Within the hour, she called me back. This is kinda how my story went “This is Windi from Windi’s Bridal. Faye is my mother (she knows Mama fairly well). I am calling to ask what did I need to do to be able, if it is possible, to get a paper angel tree in my shop for the kids for this Christmas.” She told me she could bring some angels by the next week and she thanked me for doing this. She was amazed that I was really wanting to do this.

As I was hanging up with her, oh yes, I was already logging on to Twitter to tell Jimmy Wayne the news. My message was “I just got off the phone w/ the SA in my town (Douglas). I'm setting up a Paper Angel Tree inside my buz next week. I (we) are on board ;)” I seriously wanted to follow it up with the comment “So, how you like them apples?!?!” Haha.. Sorry, but I was feeling quite cocky!!

His response was “AWESOME!!!!!”.

Finally, the night of the CASA Gala had arrived. I worked about 14 hours in two days playing with 650+ balloons to decorate with. To me, I don’t see anything special about them. I guess the negative thought of “nothing ever being good enough” kept returning to my memory. But everyone has loved them. I have gotten all kinds of comments from people on Facebook, Twitter, in my shop, and those who attended the event. I have never had a group as thankful for the décor that I have done as they all were. Even Jimmy Wayne liked them! If he thanked me one time, he thanked me ten times. Yes, I was in wow mode, but I never got the big head. For them to be sooooooo appreciative of the simplest of things I did, I was humbled beyond words. It was a very humbling experience for me. It really touched my heart to hear and read all the comments. I am still in awe of the whole thing. And you guessed it, I cried at those comments as well ;)

You see, each of us are given talents and gifts from God above. To every person that commented to me… They got the same answer. Those are my God given talents. Jimmy Wayne can sing pretty darn amazingly, play a guitar like it was jumping rope, and talk comfortably with a microphone in hand. I would rather sit here and type you something and hand it to you cause I don’t like a microphone all that well. AND yes, I am working on that as well. You can do this while you can do that. God just blessed me to be able to do everything that I do. He is the only reason I can do what I am capable of doing.

The night I got the Paper Angels, it was the Tuesday night after the CASA Gala. She brought them around 6:15ish. I stayed that night until after 11:00 so I could get my tree up for those kids. But, as I was decorating the tree and hanging each angel on there one by one, I guess I can say I some how kind of changed in my life. I had some great revelations. Each angel has a name. This makes it a personalized angel. It lets you know if it is a boy or a girl. It lets you know the child’s age. It lets you know the DEAR SANTA list the child wants. This PAPER ANGEL TREE has impacted me to help make a difference in some child’s life. Each kid on the tree has a story to tell. None of the stories are the same. There is something about that tree every time I look at it, it literally breaks my heart. It is the first thing I look at when I go to work. It is the last thing I see when I leave from work. And some how I see it like this, may be I am crazy… Those are my angels I have to help find Christmas for. I assumed the responsibility to make sure they all get “adopted” for Christmas. I am determined!!!

Since the tree has gone up and I have become involved with this program and then hearing Jimmy Wayne’s testimony in person (even though I have youtubed it several times before) I have something different going on inside my heart. I can not explain it. But, I guess it is the realization of being soooooooo blessed as I was growing up. We didn’t have the most of everything or the best of everything. But Mama and Daddy did their best at all times to do what they could for us. I never knew if we could not afford something. They kept that to themselves. I have heard Mama tell a story of when I first came into the world. They were down to wrapping change to pay the light bill. They made sure I had my milk, then they did what they had to do to get the bills paid.

My life is not where I expected it to be. But as I was thinking the other day, if I could go back and change just one thing what would I change. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmm. After I pondered this one for a long time, I realized I would change absolutely NOTHING. Every thing that has happened in my life, good and bad, has helped me be who I am. It has brought me to where I am. And it is going to take me to where I am going. I have NO regrets at all.

All of this comes back to let me know just how thankful of everything I am in my life. I don’t drive a brand new vehicle. Mine has 205,000 miles on it. I don’t have a fancy house. It is Granny’s old home that was built in the 50’s or 60’s. It does need some updates, but I am content with it because I do have a roof over my head. I have a business. Yes, but it is more like the business has me.

Would I be willing to give it all up and walk away??? Yes, I would and could when that point in my life comes. And even going back to the vehicle incident this week, I am so thankful to know God had His hands there to protect me. He saved me from a fate that I will not know how it would have ended. If that don’t make you wake up and smell the coffee. And this incident was less than 12 hours AFTER I got done with the Paper Angel Tree. Soooooooo thankful!

Tonight, as I was telling the story of basically what I have posted here to a very good friend of mine, she decided to come get an angel. After she got home, she went on the Salvation Army website to look at the Paper Angels and some of the things they wanted. And there was this little girl who had put down for her Dear Santa list… Her Angel simply said one word… “anything.” Wow… A child who knows that there could possibly be nothing under her tree is so thankful that she will take “anything.” She is not being greedy and making up this big list of things they do have to have. She is simply thankful for what she may get.

And even to some of these kids, the thing they want most is something they did not list at all. Because you see it can not be bought for them. If it could be bought, it would be worth all the money in the world. They simply want to be loved. They want to know they are loved. They want their mother or father to just tell them they love them. As simple and as free as it is, some parents will never do it.

Tonight, we had a testimony service of being THANKFUL. Pastor had the lights turned out in the church. It was dark. Then one single candle was lit. That person gave thanks. Then they lit the next person’s candle. That person gave thanks for the things in their life. This went on until every one had a candle and had given thanks. As I sat on the platform and listened, I was thankful that the lights were out. We are talking a throbbing, hurting heart and big tears. I sat there and I cried like a big old baby and could not really explain to you why. Everyone had similar parts of their reasons to be thankful… Family, husband, wife, kids, God loving them, Jesus dying for them, being saved and knowing they are on their way to Heaven, their church family and their church…. Then they each had another part they added to their giving thanks. Each one had a different story of the great things God had done for them. Each one totally different because each one has their own story of the goodness and graciousness of a Heavenly Father.

Sorry for being so emotional on you all. Over the last few months, I have had lots of emotions going on. I know I am watching God’s perfect plan and purpose for my life being unfolded right before my eyes. I just can’t describe all the emotions I have that just keep flowing. I know I have been called out, set apart, and chosen by God to fulfill a ministry here on this planet we call earth. He has a work for me to do. I am still not 110% sure which way He is pushing me to go. I just know I got to do what I feel in my heart I am lead to do. Where ever He sends me, I will follow in that area too! I guess sometimes you have to be completely broken out of self-mode before God can fix you like He wants to use you.

God has closed some doors just so He can show me the open doors He has waiting for me up ahead. I may be unsure of the road that is ahead of me, but I am sure God will make sure I travel down the path He has laid out for me. This month alone, He has really opened some great and amazing doors.

And yes, I do sincerely want to thank Jimmy Wayne for the challenge that he presented me with. This has been one of the life changing experiences I will never forget. So, I will put a plug in for him as well. If you love to read, purchase his newly released book “Paper Angels”. It will touch your heart. It is a book he co-wrote with Travis Thrasher while he was walking "Halfway Across America". It makes you realize just how fortunate and blessed we all are in life. Things could be worse than what you are currently going thru. I could not put it down once I began reading it... Well, I did put it down to wipe the tears!!! I completed the book in one reading at 3:41 a.m. IT is a must read!!!!

The book "Paper Angels" also set the scene for me. As I was decorating the Paper Angel tree in my window, it gave a new meaning behind those names. The different thoughts of the parts in the book actually were coming to life in my mind as I hung each Angel on the tree. All things do seeming knit themselves together in life. This whole experience was one of them!!!

Get involved in your local community to help kids. Check out the following organizations to see where you can make a difference and help a child…

Jimmy Wayne's Foundation - www.projectmmh.org

Salvation Army

CASA Organization

The Annie E. Casey Foundation - www.aecf.org

You can follow Jimmy Wayne on Twitter and Facebook. Jimmy will have a new CD coming out in 2012 as well as a documentary on his walk across America.

You can also follow Travis Thrasher on Twitter and Facebook. Travis also has written several books that are available through his website, www.travisthrasher.com.


To order your copy of "Paper Angels" you can order online at

 
Jimmy Wayne & I at the Tri-County CASA Gala11/12/11... Baxley, Georgia...

No comments:

Post a Comment