Thursday, May 9, 2013

My "The Vow" Experience

So here is my "The Vow" story I witnessed in my shop today...

First I need to back up just a bit... The other day after hours, I was passing through town and saw this couple window shopping at the wedding dresses in front of my shop. I had to be some where and was unable to stop. I just figured they were looking around outside while they waited on food from Jin Jin's like a lot of people do...

Then, this afternoon, they were back and came in... I greeted them as they were walking in the doors. The gentleman was first and held the door for the lady who was with him. Like I said, "Gentleman"... The soon-to-be-husband did all of the talking with me at first. As he and I discussed dresses, colors, styles, etc., the bride-to-be stood by listening. Then he would ask her questions and lean in to hear what her response was. He would tell me what she thought about each dress and which ones she wanted to try on. I thought she was either really shy or she had this nasty cold that is going around which had made her lose her voice.

As they began looking at the dresses, he was taking them off the rack for her. It is then I noticed she had no use of her arms and hands. They just hung there by her sides dangling. He and I both were looking for a "yes" or "no" as we pulled the dresses down for her to voice her opinion. After a little while, she began to get over her “shyness” or “cold.” She loosened up a little and began trying to speak. Her speech was very, very slurred. It was to the point I could not understand her as she was speaking. It was to the point as if she were merely mumbling. But, he knew her voice and could make every thing out she was speaking. He would even put the dresses over her head, still on the hanger, to see if she liked them. When it came time for her to try on, he went into the dressing room and helped her try all of the dresses she had liked. He never got impatient. He never raised his voice trying to hurry her up. He was taking his time with her.

When I asked in conversation what type of event they were attending, he said that she was wearing it to their wedding next week!!! That is a testament of true love... Loving unconditionally... For better or worse... Knowing he is marrying the love of his life despite all the circumstances around her... You know if he did all those things for her here, he has to go above and beyond that at home as well... From cooking, feeding her, helping with showers, brushing her teeth, washing clothes, washing her hair, drying her hair, cleaning, vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, mopping, loading the dishwasher, taking out the trash.... Everything... Knowing that despite all of the difficulties they face, he will be there to help her no matter what.

I know this is a little different than the actual events in the movie “The Vow”. But to see someone as unselfish as he is, it makes you want to do more to be a better person. Even with her what seemed to be stroke symptoms, he was still standing by to support and love her through her limitations. Like I said, I my heart was heavy today and made me want to go grab a box of Kleenex and go hide in my own little corner for a while. On the other hand, it made my heart smile that she had someone like him who loved her through it all despite her disabilities. It kinda reminds me of God, no matter what we have done or may do thru, despite it all He is going to love us and never leave us alone to face our own problems. He is always with us and loves us unconditionally no matter how good, bad, or ugly we are!!

Days like today make you appreciate that even on your "worst" days.... Life can still be worse than what you are going through!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment