Friday, September 27, 2013

Be That Person..

Friday, September 13

If you are a friend of mine on Facebook, you pretty much know where I am coming from on this post. You have seen me share a little about this subject over the course of the past month...

To get everyone else up to speed, back in May of 2007, my Daddy was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer in liver, lungs, and bronchial tubes. He beat the cancer in three months. Then on March 19, 2008, he was diagnosed with brain tumors. He was beating the brakes of that too until pneumonia set in. I lost my Daddy August 19, 2008.

This year is the 5th year anniversary of his passing. For some reason, it has bothered me a lot more than in years past. I sometimes still expect to see him walk in the front door on the porch after he has been at work....

There are a lot of other things that have been going on in my life. So I am sure this concoction of emotions are the things I have been trying to battle over the past few weeks. This is one of the peak seasons at the shop with homecoming in full swing. I am not complaining by any means. In a total of nine days, not including two Sundays at church twice on those days and one Wednesday night, I worked a total of 122 hours. We were excited to launch the brand new www.windisbridalboutique.com website just in time for homecoming. The companies were dragging to get images available for us to use on the website.  Once they were sent, crunch time started. There has been a lot of extra hours at the shop to meet all the deadlines.

The first week of August, I was decorating in Atlanta with Speedway Children's Charities Luncheon with guest speaker 1st Lady of Georgia, Sandra Deal. This was an awesome event and Mrs. Deal was such a sweet person. I am an Associate Board Member with Speedway Children's Charities at Atlanta Motor Speedway. This luncheon is one of the many fundraisers we do to raise money for the organization so we can give it away to other organizations at Christmas!!!

Then Labor Day weekend, due to circumstances beyond my control I had to cancel the trip to the Atlanta Motor Speedway to help my Speedway Children's Charities family work all weekend during the NASCAR Race. I was supposed to be up there decorating with the balloons for various events. This is the major weekend where they raise all the money for the charity to help organizations help kids. Since I was unable to do, I was very bummed out to say the least. I had only been counting down this weekend for a year!! When you own a business, you have to make sacrifices. Its in the job description!!

On September the 10th, I got a major achievement delivered by UPS from Eden Bridals. Eden Bridals is the main line of bridal and bridesmaids line I carry in the shop. I received a laser engraved crystal Silver Award. This award was a nation wide program. We were one of the top sellers and most improved in sales in the previous 12 month period. This was also based on our customer service. I am a firm believer the award is not only mine, but also the customers who entrusted me to be part of their special day and memories!!! Without them and the Windi's Bridal Team, I am nothing!!!

The biggest part in the mix is the fact September 13 is a countdown until my birthday... Only six months away from the next big number. So this Friday, September 13, marks the last six months of me being the ripe old age of 37. I don't see it as me turning 38 next... I just see 2.5 years and I will be the big 4-0!! Wooooo...hooooo...nooooottttt!!! There are lots of things I have accomplished in the years I have been blessed to be here. Down deep inside there are still many more things I want to do!! I refuse to grow up!!

Then to put all this in life's blender and mix it up, was an indescribable feeling. From up one minute, to down, to back up, then down. It seemed as if the roller coaster was going way too fast for me to keep up with the events.

On my way to work Friday the 13th morning, I had a conversation with God. I would not really call it a prayer. Just some things I had questions about. I also reminded Him of His words as well. I quoted some Scripture and to me it was like I was debating certain situations I was going through. I wanted answers. When I had gotten done "venting" to Him about my concerns, it was like I heard a voice say "I got this". Okay Lord, it is all yours and I will kindly move out of Your way!! (Depending on how the "venting" gets answered, I will surely have to share that in a Part 2 blog. Maybe one day!!)

Friday was a busy day as the week before homecoming always is. I was stressing a little bit since I always tend to worry about making sure every dress is here and every dress is ordered and will be back to me in time for big days.

That afternoon, I got an unexpected text from a good friend of mine I cherish deeply and had not heard from in a few weeks. One of those on time type. Basically a simple "Hey......hope you are doing good." You never know how much a text message, a visit, a phone call, or as social media channels to Facebook posts, Facebook inbox, email, Twitter, Instagram... Ok, I will stop there... The point I am trying to make is, you never know what a person is going through and when God puts them on your mind, how hard is it to just say a simple "hello". You never know how much you can change a person's day with just a gesture, and it is free!!!

Friday night, I was headed home about 10:30. I had done some late night projects at the shop. As I was riding and thinking about the past few weeks, I was in deep concentration. I was not paying much attention to the grassy sides of 441. Here I am, almost in Pridgen. As a matter of fact, I was at the 21 mile marker going into Pridgen. All of a sudden, a deer jumped out in front of me and broke my concentration. I immediately slammed on brakes and laid down on the horn. After I recomposed myself by catching my breath and bringing my adrenaline back down, I was ready to get on home thankful I did not hit the crazy animal. Then my mind went to the thoughts I don't open up about much.

Waitttt... Before everyone thinks and passes judgement, I am perfectly fine. I know I have a lot of living left to do and this was just one of those wake up moments. Should you have any doubt, I can gladly get you into contact with my bestie. She can verify I am good :)

As I looked at that deer, I thought to myself... What if I would have hit it and gotten into a wreck? Who and how many of my friends would actually care or be concerned about me? Who would make an effort to check on me post wreck? Out of all of those I think who care about me, how many would really be there to prove they do? I do know I have an AMAZING group of family and friends that does care about me. I am not knocking them by any means because I know who would be there for me even if I stumped my toe again and had to wear the neon green bandage! I love my circle!!!

I kept driving and got home within a few minutes.. I sat my purse and a few things I had brought out of the truck on the couch. Got me a Coke out of the refrigerator and made my way to the big blue recliner I love to unwind in... Daddy's recliner... Turned the television on and reclined back. Within a few minutes of flopping down in the recliner, I got an unexpected text message. The text was from one of the sweetest gentlemen I think I have ever crossed paths with in my life. One of those people who always seems to have a positive and encouraging word just at the right time. Sometimes God uses the right people at the right time to say the right thing and the person has no clue they are even being used to brighten someone else's day. They don't know they are an instrument being used by Him. He is one person I am proud to call my friend. He will never understand the inspiration and the encuragement he gave me in just a few words of conversation.

You see, no matter how "perfect" someones life seems to be, you never know what is going on on the inside.. The exterior shell can really put on a great show behind the mask. You can't see what a person is dealing with on a daily basis. You don't know the battles they are facing within themselves. After a while, a person can really fool you and you think they are okay. If someone crosses your mind and you feel like you need to call them or make contact with them, remember a text message in today's times means just as much!!!

This whole situation reminds me of the Country Music Song "The Call" by Matt Kennon. I am not one to give up on much of anything in my life. Life is one thing I will never give up on without a fight!!! But to know a person can get to that point and give up and see how easily their day can be changed because of something which only takes a few seconds to be the light in their darkness... Be someone else's reason to get back up again!! Most of the time, they will thank you even if you never hear it!!!

The lyrics I love in "The Call" are

"If someone you know is weighing on your mind
And needs a friend on the end of that other line
Don't hesitate what you say may seem so small
But who knows
They might be glad you called
So make the call"

Like I have said before, it is the simplest things in life that mean the most!!!

Be that person...

Here is the video by Matt Kennon...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3zs7EV6Tk&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment